Who is considered eligible for homeless assistance and services through the McKinney-Vento Act?
If you lost your housing and now live in one of the following living situations, your child might be able to receive help through a federal law called the McKinney-Vento Act:
- A shelter
- Camping ground
- Temporary trailer
- On the street
- Doubled-up with family or friends
- Or in another type of temporary or inadequate housing
If you have a student/child who may qualify for homeless assistance and services, or if you would like more information, please contact our homeless liaison:
Wilson Creek School District
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act was authorized by Congress in December 2001, as part of the No Child Left Behind legislation. The purpose of the McKinney-Vento Act is to remove barriers to education for homeless and transitional students, and provide educational support and stability.
Education Rights of Children/Youth Who Qualify for Homeless Assistance and Services
Under the McKinney-Vento Act, children in homeless situations have the right to:
- Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there.
- Attend either the local school or the school of origin (the school the child attended when he/she was permanently housed, or the school in which the child was last enrolled).
- Receive transportation assistance, if needed.
- Enroll in school immediately.
- Eligibility for free food services.
- Have access to the same programs and services that are available to all other students, including, transportation and supplemental educational services.
- Attend school with children not experiencing homelessness; a school can not
segregate a student because he or she is homeless.
The National Center for Homeless Education can explain your child’s school rights and tell you how to contact the local liaison in your school district. The local liaison can help enroll your child in school and make sure that your child receives the help that he/she needs.
Toll-free Helpline: 800-308-2145 or firstname.lastname@example.org